Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

Well, today is Thanksgiving. I believe that it is also the first time I haven't spent Thanksgiving in Boulder. Until this week, I hadn't really realized how much I liked Thanksgiving as a holiday. This whole week, I have realized that this is probably the worst part (and one of the few bad things) about being in Spain. For me it is really a bummer that I am missing Thanksgiving Day Football, which is the tradition that really makes the holiday for me. What makes it even harder this year is that the lineup of games that will be played is great. First, a Detroit team that is finally good at home against an undefeated Green Bay. Then, Dallas against Miami, which will probably be a good game but doesn't really interest me a lot. And then, what will probably be the best game of the night, San Francisco (also finally good) against Baltimore in the first NFL game between the Harbaugh brothers in what should be a high-tempo game.
I thought about skipping school today (it doesn't seem right to go to school on Thanksgiving), but last Friday the American lady who comes into our English class suggested that the Spanish kids try to make pies to bring in today, so in hopes of pie, I decided to go to school today. Turns out is was the right decision, as there were seven pies brought in for English class. One of them wasn't actually a pie, and one of them was kind of a pie, but kind of not, but all the others were truly pies. Of the six ones that could be called pies, 5 were apple and one was blueberry. They were all quite tasty, or at least the five I tried were, but two of them won for me. One because of its appearance, one because of taste. The appearance one looked like a stereotypical perfect pie. It was near perfectly round, had the criss-crossing pastry stripes over the top, and was lightly covered in a sprinkling of cinnamon (happened to be the first cinnamon I have seen or tasted since arriving). The taste one was an apple pie that just tasted brilliantly. Can't really describe it anymore than that, but it was great.
Well, that is about all for today. Only wanted to write a short post about Thanksgiving, so, till next time.

Oh yeah, one more thing:
The main reason I am really missing Thanksgiving is the traditional family meal that we have at my Aunt's house. This morning I was talking with one of my Spanish friends and he was asking about Thanksgiving. He asked if we had the day off from school. I said yes. He then asked if we spent it with family or friends. I said family, and he responded bummer. I thought about it for a couple of seconds and then said no, it's not a bummer. I feel like he seemed surprised that it isn't a bummer to have to stay in with your family and not hang out with friends. Many times I would agree that it is more enjoyable to go out with friends, but on Thanksgiving, doing anything other than feasting at a dinner table with your family feels wrong. And that is really the reason I'm am missing home a bit more today than usual. Simply put, I am missing spending the day with all of my family at home.

Now I am done. It is hard to believe that it is already Thanksgiving, but it is. So, till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment